Family STEAM Night
Last night, was our first ever Family STEAM Night. It was great! I set up 11 stations around 2 rooms and made sure each station had a card with the activity name, directions, and some questions to ponder while playing.
Here is a list of the 11 rotations I set up:
1. Marble Machines- Foam tubes, plastic bendable tubes, funnels, tape, and marbles galore
2. Robot- A family brought in their robot, Meccanoid, who responded to voice commands and danced, did karate, and told jokes.
3. Magic Notecard- Find a way to cut a notecard in a continuous loop so that your whole body can fit through it.
4. Binary Code Bracelets- Using different colored beads to represent ones and zeros, make a bracelet that spells your name or initials.
5. Balloon Zip Rockets- Decorate a rocket, tape it onto a balloon, and launch the balloon down our string zipline.
6. Parachute Building- Construct a parachute out of string, cups, blocks, and coffee filters to test out in the wind tube.
7. Paper Airplane Toss- Design and test a paper airplane
8. Snap Circuits- Free build or use guides to create circuits that involve motors, lights, and sounds
9. Tower Building- Using marshmallows and spaghetti, how tall of a tower can you build?
10. Brick Building- Free building with some suggested challengs (create an animal, a maze, a landmark).
11. Penny Lab- How many drops of water can you get to stay on top of a penny?