Flight Academy Camp
We blasted off to great heights last week during Flight Academy. Here are some of the highlights from the week:
- Learning about the forces of flight and creating and testing paper airplanes
- Building tetrahedral kites out of straws, string, and tissue paper
- Constructing parachutes out of coffee filters, cups, and wooden weights
- Decorating our kites using a Japanese ink marbling technique where the ink floats on water
- Testing our parachute in the wind tube to see if we could get it to float in a specified zone
- Building our own mini wind tubes to test out mini fliers
- Using a flight simulator app to get the feel of being a pilot
- Participating in an experiment to determine if and how taste buds change when astronauts are in space
- Watching one of our fellow campers fly his drone
- Building and launching paper rockets using a rocket launcher from airrocketworks.com (Our school was borrowing this one, but we will be getting our own! Wahoo!). Our rockets flew HUNDREDS of feet! It was amazing!
- Playing in the sprinkler!